About Dr Wong Lai Yong & First Penguin Sdn. Bhd.
Consulting, Training & Expertise In Sustainability Matters For Corporate Needs
I enjoy being a “connector” between Japan, Malaysia and Asia as I write and speak fluent Japanese, English, Mandarin, Malay and Chinese dialects (Cantonese, Hokkien). Having lived in Japan for 16 years,
I bring an in-depth perceptivity towards business, social, political and cultural understanding of Japanese lifestyle, culture and corporate life.
Dr Wong Lai Yong is the founder, principal trainer & consultant of First Penguin Sdn. Bhd. based in Penang, Malaysia that helps organizations in Asia create purpose-driven and people-driven sustainability practices. She speaks, advises, consults and trains on sustainability and Environment, Social and Governance (ESG) matters.
She works with Japanese sustainability consulting firms whose clients need objective reviews on their materiality and sustainability reporting. She also helps corporations tackle root causes that prevent global talent growth and talent development from an ESG approach.
Working with her, clients gain innovative and competitive advantages through her holistic advisory and consulting approach. She streamlines and integrates business strategies with people development goals, fully optimising stakeholders’ benefits within the organization and fulfilling corporate needs. In this area, she is passionate about unleashing the full potential of women, youth and Gen Z.
She is an advocate for thinking differently and challenging stereotypes and norms, making her an invaluable board member and business adviser who is courageous and conscious in delivering an uncommon Asian female outlook to strategic business decisions.
- Board member of Nitto Denko Corporation (Japan) and the first foreigner and first woman appointed to the Nitto Denko Corp board in more than 100 years of history
- Board member of Penang Women’s Development Corporation (Malaysia)
- Deputy Director at the Center of Sustainability and Innovation of Shizenkan University (Japan) that designs and offers purpose-driven sustainability training to board members and senior management executives of Japanese corporations
- Adjunct Associate Professor of Shizenkan University, lecturing on the roles of management required to realize a sustainable society
- Founding president and current president of Malaysia Rotary Yoneyama Alumni Association
Dr Wong holds a PhD in Business Administration from Yokohama National University, MBA from Keio Business School and Bachelor of Economics (First Class Honours) from University of Malaya. (Connect with her on LinkedIn.)
In 2016, she was conferred the Asia Pacific Shining Women award by the Japanese Cabinet Office (equivalent to the Prime Minister’s Office in Malaysia).
- Interview by My Eyes Tokyo in English and Japanese.
- Featured in the Mitsubishi Electric Group website for her views on sustainability (and in Japanese)
- Featured on the TDK website for her expert opinion on key CSR issues (and in Japanese)
- Featured by Habataku Inc., on their collaboration for Kao Corporation’s global intrapreneurship nurturing program. Habataku Inc. is a social enterprise based in Japan and Vietnam.
- Youth development and career consulting Youtube channel and media coverage
- Radio interview series with MelodyFM about youth and career development.
- Featured in The Star for childcare development and social enterprise work.
- Featured in various media on her views and work on women empowerment, early childhood care and education, parenting
- Featured in Rotary Yoneyama Memorial Foundation (Japan) publications as an active alumni and Malaysia media on the social contributions of Malaysia Rotary Yoneyama Alumni Association
On The Board of
About First Penguin Sdn. Bhd.
First Penguin Sdn. Bhd. was established to awaken people and corporations to their true purpose as citizens of the world. Our belief is one of connecting the developed countries with the developing countries, reducing the gap between the have and the have-nots.
We envision a world of understanding, peaceful co-existence, shared prosperity and a sense of purpose through our sustainability approaches.
We work with corporations, universities, governments, family offices and CEOs by offering a holistic, global and long-term perspective in sustainability, global talent development, cross-cultural global management, career consulting and nurturing and expanding consciousness. Here’s how we can help.